Sunday, December 09, 2012

Underpainting- Exploring Medieval Style!





































Trying to make a holiday postcard (might be New Years at this rate) I teach Middle school art and my students are studying  Illuminated Letters. Every time I start this unit I become mesmerized with the art from this period. Yes some of it is not in porportion, or maybe perspective isn't really being followed (or even discovered yet...wait, what is a vanishing point again?) However the COLOR! The DETAIL. The cool clothing!  Gorgeous!

The Garden of Eden
c. 1410
Tempera on wood, 26,3 x 33,4 cm
Städelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt

Book of Hours of Simon de Varie
Paris, 1455; Tours, c. 1455

Detail of a painting (title listed above) on Google Art Project

très riches heures du duc de berry



très riches heures du duc de berry: Winter months




This post is brought to you by the theme "Explore," for Illustration Friday
http://illustrationfriday.com/







4 comments:

wayne andreason said...

I saw that midieval style underpainting on IF, it is looking pretty nice. good job.

Bonnie Branson said...

Thanks Wayne!

Laurie A. Conley said...

I love the medieval period too, really interesting and lots of inspiration. But the one thing I could never get past in the paintings is the abundance of ugly babies!

April Heather Davulcu said...

Just lovely!!