Friday, May 04, 2012

A flower by any other name...

When I was in high school I read this quote in my science book:

I always thought it was cool to have a little poetry in a science book and thought it was a nice sentiment so it stayed with me. The quote, which I know now belongs to Emerson (What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered)  also reminds me of my step-dad. 

My step-dad Joe, has a green thumb and plants beautiful flowers around the house I grew up in. I  remember one day he commented to me that, in his opinion, dandelions were quite sweet looking but unfortunately carried the label of "weed" and therefore must be pruned and plucked from the ground. 

This image was created after I decided to "pluck" or crop the this dandelion and seed design out of a picture. Sadly it just wasn't working!  Feeling bad for giving it the ax, I thought it would be nice to let it live again in its own design! (It also gave me a chance to experiment with a new font I downloaded) 


2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love dandelions. They are very cheery and almost defiant in their insistence on growing everywhere despite the fact that they are looked down upon as weeds. It's almost like they keep challenging us - how can you look down on me? You know I'm pretty and sweet. Come on, admit it.

If nothing else, I would think that the dandelion would pick up some fertility symbolism with all those little seeds floating around everywhere.

Bonnie Branson said...

I totally agree, Kathleen! I love dandelions!