Sunday, January 08, 2006

Persepolis






Recently I finished reading "Persepolis," a Graphic Novel by Marjane Satrapi. (A nice xmas present.)
Prespolis relates Marjane's upbringing in Iran after the Islamic Revolution in 1979.
In the preface, Satrapi briefly summarizes the history of her country an states simply, "...writing Persepolis was so important to me. I believe that an entire nation should not be judged by the wrongdoings of a few extremists. I also don't want those Iranians who lost their lives in prisons defending freedom, who died in the war against Iraq, who suffered under various repressive regimes, or who were forced to leave their families and flee their homeland to be forgotten. One can forgive but one should never forget."

Very good.
There is also a second book which continues the story. I hope to read it soon.

No comments: